I was originally intending to get some work done on the next page of Rita today, but I ended up doing book prep work instead. I muttered under my breath a lot as I tried to work out a way to get the images into the final InDesign file without either having a printer-chokingly huge file or all the spot gloss screwed up. I think I’m probably gonna end up going with the ugly manual method that was used for the Silcon Dawn.
This offends pretty much all of my sensibilities, and resulted in a bug report sent to Adobe. So did a couple changes I had to make to every single page by hand because Illustrator only records a certain subset of things you do when you record an action. After I did that I was surprisingly tired, and ended up taking a break for a while because I am a slacker.
With all this finicky stuff done, now it’s time for pretty much the last bit of prep: going through all the pages and finding things that Need To Be Changed Before I Go To Print. Mostly for reasons of me forgetting that I can never, ever, ever put anything important to the story down the middle of the page, but also (as you can see in the notes here) fixing a few drawings that have always bugged me every time I look at them, and catching a few details I forgot. I suspect there will probably be one of these passes for every book, and maybe even an extra one when I make the deluxe omnibus at the end of the whole project.
Tomorrow: fix Carol’s hair throughout, do something about those four unchecked boxes for book 1. Then either generate the TIFFs or work on Something Else for a couple of hours, I’ll want a break from Rita by then!
Oh wait also I’m scheduled to go to a meeting about some Foolscap graphics stuff tomorrow. I am juggling way too many things. Plus I need to get some travel/hotel plans for APE together.